Over the next two months, we will be sharing prayer updates from South Asian Christian leaders. Consisting of eight nations (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka), South Asia represents nearly a quarter of the world’s population. Christians form a small minority in this region, which is home to approximately one billion Hindus, 600 million Muslims, and only 35 million Christians. Read more on our website.
This week, please intercede with us for Dr. Maqsood Kamil in Pakistan.
Pakistan is the only nation established in the name of Islam. Constitutionally, all laws must conform to the Quran. The country has a large economy and a rising middle class, but also faces challenges related to illiteracy, corruption, and terrorism. Of the nation’s 212 million people, 96% are Muslims. Although Christians represent a very small minority (under 2%) and face persecution, the Church continues to persevere and grow. Learn more about the Church’s history in Pakistan, barriers to missions, and common objections to Christianity here.
Maqsood is Vice Principal of Gujranwala Theological Seminary, which trains 80% of church leaders for all major Protestant denominations in Pakistan. He recently completed his PhD in Islamic Studies at the Oxford Centre for Mission Studies (UK). His research on Christian-Muslim debates in 19th-century India will provide valuable insights for interreligious dialogue in Islamic contexts. Check out Maqsood’s 2016 InSights Perspective: Religious Extremism in Pakistan: A Christian Response. Maqsood and Ruby have three children.
Maqsood shares the following prayer requests:
1. Ruby and I have been experiencing high blood pressure. Pray that our God keeps us healthy for the sake of His Church in Pakistan.
2. Our eldest daughter Zoya is preparing for GRE exams, and we are praying for her success and admission into graduate programs. Please pray for her application process, as well as for the provision of scholarships.
3. Our son Bobby is doing well and is on the Dean’s honor roll. Please pray that he maintains his grades. He is diabetic, and needs much prayer and financial help, not only for his studies, but also for his health.
4. I have been asked by Brill to write an entry for an encyclopedia of Christian-Muslim relations. Please pray that I will be able to do so.
5. There are serious challenges facing our seminary. The principal has been out of the country since the end of last May. May God give wisdom and courage to the Board to lead this institution.
6. March is an extremely busy month for us. We will have our annual board meeting, and graduation will be held on March 21. Please pray for all these events.