- Evident faith in Jesus Christ
- Proven ability as a leader
- Demonstrable commitment to serve in home context
- Pursuit of a doctoral-level degree of value in home context
- Employment after graduation or a viable ministry plan
- Acceptance into a leading academic program in the Majority World or the West
ScholarLeaders International has supported leaders at many highly-regarded schools in:
- Africa: Africa International University (Kenya), Akrofi-Christaller Center (Ghana), Bangui Evangelical School of Theology (Central African Republic), University of KwaZulu-Natal (South Africa), Northwest University (South Africa), Shalom University – Bunia (Democratic Republic of Congo), University of South Africa, Stellenbosch University (South Africa)
- Asia: China Graduate School of Theology (Hong Kong), South Asia Institute of Advanced Christian Studies (India), Trinity Theological College (Singapore)
- Latin America: Programme PRODALA
- Australia: Melbourne School of Theology
- France: Faculté Libre de Théologie Évangélique (Vaux-sur-Seine)
- UK: The Universities of Aberdeen, Birmingham, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Manchester, and Oxford; King’s College London; London School of Theology; Oxford Centre for Mission Studies, Spurgeon’s College
- Canada: McMaster University
- USA: Our primary partners are Fuller Theological Seminary and Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. We have also supported students at Asbury Theological Seminary, Columbia Theological Seminary, Dallas Theological Seminary, Harvard University, and Princeton Theological Seminary.
Applicants may attend schools beyond those listed above.
The LeaderStudies Scholarship is a highly competitive award. We regularly receive about 75 applications from qualified candidates. On average, we are able to accept 10-12 new students each year.
Awards vary slightly based on the costs of studying, but often cover 25-50% of the total need per year and are typically renewable for four years.
Note: We only sponsor scholars who sign a covenant agreeing to serve in ministry in their home context for at least 10 years. According to the covenant, those who do not are required to repay the support they have received.
LeaderStudies is funded in part through generous legacy scholarships.
Please read the following guidelines to help you understand our mission and determine whether you should apply.
- ScholarLeaders International supports the doctoral studies of Christian theological leaders from the Majority World. We specifically seek to sponsor women and men in senior leadership positions in the Majority World. Such positions may include serving as the President, Dean, or senior faculty member of a recognized theological institution; the Executive Director of a relief organization; or a national leader of a denomination.
- ScholarLeaders International does not support undergraduate work, Master’s degrees (MDiv, MA, MAR), professional doctorates (DMin, DMiss, EdD), or studies in non-theological fields. We also will not support a PhD candidate studying in the West who has just finished a Master’s degree in the West without returning home for a period of ministry or teaching.
- Leaders who receive a scholarship from ScholarLeaders International are expected to return home to serve. If they fail to return immediately upon graduation or do not remain in a Majority World context for at least ten years following the completion of their studies, they will be required to repay their scholarship.
If you meet these qualifications, we invite you to submit a one-page letter summarizing your eligibility and study plan. Please send your letter electronically to email@example.com.
Or mail to: ScholarLeaders International
Lake Forest, IL 60045.
Those who fit our profile will be sent an application.
Completed applications are due by November 15.
Awards are announced in May for funding that begins the following September.