This week, please join us in prayer for Dr. “A” in Southeast Asia.
A culturally, economically, and religiously diverse region, Southeast Asia is home to about 10% of the global population. Per capita, Singapore is one of the world’s wealthiest nations, while countries like Cambodia, Myanmar, and Laos are among the poorest. Roughly 40% of Southeast Asians follow Islam, and the largest Muslim population worldwide lives in Indonesia. Meanwhile, Buddhism is the dominant religion in Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand. Although Christians mostly live as minorities in Southeast Asia, they represent the majority in the Philippines and East Timor. According to Operation World, the Church has expanded most rapidly over the last few decades in Cambodia and Vietnam.
“A” and her husband are church planters and faculty at a Christian university in a Buddhist country in Southeast Asia. Scholar Leaders awarded “A” a Pierson Scholarship during her PhD studies in Old Testament at Fuller Theological Seminary. Her dissertation focused on the Covenant in Exodus 19-24. By examining how the ancient Israelites responded to imperial power as God’s people, her research guides and encourages Christians today who also live as vulnerable minorities. “A” is among the first in her country to hold a doctorate in Old Testament.
“A” shares the following message:
I come from a city in East Asia and have served a community in Southeast Asia since 2003. With Scholar Leaders’ financial and prayer support, I completed my PhD at Fuller Theological Seminary at the end of 2021. My interests are in the Old Testament and ancient Near Eastern studies. I now teach at a Bible school in Southeast Asia as a visiting instructor.
1. Pray for wisdom and strength for teaching and developing the Bible school’s Master of Arts program in Christian Ministry.
2. My husband has recently changed his role at the Bible school from fulltime to visiting faculty. Pray that he can adjust well to his new role and continue to have wisdom to teach.
3. Pray for financial provision. The financial support from my home city has significantly fallen short of the target amount for two months already.
4. Dengue fever season is lasting longer than in the previous years. Pray that those infected, especially young people and children, can receive proper medical treatment and recover well.
5. The prime minister has handed over his role to his son after the national election. Pray for the formation of the new government.
Thank you very much,