LeaderStudies awards scholarships to exceptional Majority World Christian leaders pursuing doctoral-level education in theology and related disciplines.
LeaderStudies at a Glance
- Since 1984, ScholarLeaders has supported:
260 exceptional Christian leaders from 54 countries in the Majority World.
- 60% hold executive leadership positions at their institution or organization.
- Currently, ScholarLeaders supports:
47 leaders from 28 nations studying at 28 institutions in 18 countries.
- 95% of leaders complete their degrees successfully and return home to serve.
- Fewer than 40% now enroll in traditional residential programs at Western institutions.
Just 15 to 20 years ago, 100% of leaders had to pursue PhD studies in the West. Thanks to the development of new PhD programs at Majority World schools – often under the leadership of those in the ScholarLeaders fellowship – many are now able to remain active in ministry while pursuing studies at the highest levels.
Leaders contribute to an impressive range of knowledge that strengthens the Church’s witness and ministry in their unique contexts.
Theological themes in their research include:
- Christian engagement with Islam and Hinduism
- Peace and reconciliation
- Christian and ethnic identity
- Caring for HIV/AIDS patients and families
- Poverty and social justice
- Empowering and serving women and children
- Christian responses to suffering and persecution
- Leadership development and social transformation
- Missions and evangelism
- Faithful and relevant theological education